Middle School Policies
Some general policy - please see Handbook for complete rules and regulations.
Saline Middle School hours – 8:00 AM through 2:54 PM
Morning Drop-Off Guidelines
1. Parents-Do NOT get out of your vehicle. If you need to stop for more than 7 seconds (i.e., you need to bring something into the building, or have a child who needs help), please park in the visitor’s parking lot.
2. The 7-Second Rule. Take no longer that 7 seconds to drop off your student. The 7-second rule is not in place to rush people, it is in place to keep the process moving and to be considerate of others behind you!
3. Have your student exit on the sidewalk side of the vehicle. This is for obvious safety concerns!
Students will be allowed to enter the building at 7:40 am through the auditorium entrance. Unless walking to school from nearby neighborhoods, students being driven to school cannot be dropped off at the Maple Road front school entrance. Drop off is at the south side of the building (Auditorium/Music side). Please follow the “Morning Drop-Off Guidelines” as listed above.
Afternoon Pick-up Guidelines
The Maple Road front entrance loop must be clear of all cars parked along the sidewalk by 2:30 pm. This is the area where busses will pick up students.
To pick up your student after school at the Auditorium Entrance, follow the procedures below:
- Student should exit the building through the auditorium doors.
- Parents/guardians should pick up from along the sidewalk area near the auditorium/music wing entrance.
Any student in the building after 3:15 pm must be under the direct supervision of an adult staff member. If an adult is in the building after 3:15 (not supervising a student), he/she will be asked to leave the building for safety reasons. Repeated loitering in the school could result in assigned consequences.
All parents/guardians are welcome to visit SMS.
- Parking - please try to park in a designated visitors space
- Entering the School - please enter at office door (by flag pole)
- Sign In and Wear a Visitor's Badge - Sign in and out in the main office and wear a visitors badge at all times.
Contacting the Office
Dial 401-4600 We deliver messages and forgotten articles to students during their lunch time or at the end of the day. Please plan ahead and limit this to important messages only.
Martha Bianchi ext 4602
Annette Cain ext 4650
Calling in an Absence
Regular attendance is essential for success in school. Students are expected to attend every day of the school year. If a child is going to be absent or TARDY, it is the parent's responsibility to call the Attendance Line by 8:30 am. If you know ahead of time, you may leave a message ANY time before the absence--our Attendance line is open 24/7.
Attendance Line - 401-4600 x1 - by 8:30 am.
Getting Messages to Students
With over1200 students and an office staff of 2, we ask for your help in making sure you communicate with your student before school any after-school plans, etc. so that phone calls to the office are kept to a minimum.
If your child keeps a cell phone at school, leave them messages there that they can pick up after the school day is over. Obviously, changes will occur throughout the day that you need to contact your student about and we will certainly help you by leaving them messages.
Students may only use their cell phones inside the school building for 2 reasons:
1. They have been authorized by the school to use the cell phone for a specific purpose
2. They have been asked by the school to use it for a special reason (crisis, critical incident, etc.)
Unauthorized use of cell phones will result in confiscation and/or search of the cell phone as such action is a direct violation of school policy.
* Cell phones, like all other personal items brought by a student into a school building, may be subject to search. The outcome of that search may result in school sanction and/or a criminal investigation by the police.
* Taking unwanted/unauthorized photos of others will result in disciplinary action and confiscation of de
1st offense = confiscated, student picks up after school, lunch detention
2nd offense = parent pick up and two (2) lunch detentions
3rd offense = parent pick up and in-school suspension
4th or subsequent offense = in or out of school suspension, parent meeting.
In case of inclement weather, please listen to the following radio/tv stations for announcements regarding possible school closings. You may call the district line, 401-4000, for a recorded message of any changes in the schedule.