Early Childhood Education
Work experience at a Child Care Center
This class is designed to introduce students to careers in early childhood education. Experience with preschoolers is gained by assisting at Pooh Corner, a licensed nursery school housed at Houghton Elementary School.
The program includes the study of social, emotional, cognitive and physical development of children between the ages of 2 1/2 and 5 years of age, lesson planning and actual teaching. This course may be taken for 1 or 2 years. During the second year, students will be placed in local preschools, day care centers and early elementary classrooms.
- Students have the opportunity to earn the National Child Development Associate Certificate.
- Students must pass a State of Michigan background check to participate in this class.
- Prerequisite: Child Development or Permission of Instructor, Grades 11-12
- This class is offered in the morning (AM) and the afternoon (PM).
- Articulation is available with Washtenaw Community College.
Please watch our Early Childhood Education Video
If you have questions please email: Liz Galimore